19.6.13

What Lisa Did: 5 Day Juice Cleanse

Hi everyone!

I'm off to Sharm el Sheikh on holiday next week and don't think I could be anymore excited!

As many of you know, I work out a lot and try to eat as healthily as possible whilst still allowing myself treats. However like many women I want to look my best, particularly on holiday as I'll be in a bikini 80% of the time and don't want to worry about posing for photos - I just want to feel happy and confident.


 I've been reading a lot lately about juice cleanses, they seem pretty hardcore but are supposed to work wonders for your digestive system, skin, hair, nails and can be an aid to weight loss too.

I'm only going to write about what I've done and the effects I've felt so far, if you want more factual information I'd suggest looking here:



And for another blogger's perspective on the juice cleanse (she did a 7 day cleanse, she's braver than me!!) click on the link below:


I've chosen to do my own, tailored version of a 5 day cleanse. I am drinking juice/smoothies for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack. I am then eating a small 'solid' meal in the evenings but still sticking to low fat, high protein, low carb recipes as I was doing before.

Having looked at the recipe shopping lists on the Juicemaster and Justonjuice websites, it was going to be pretty expensive to buy all the ingredients raw and the recommended supplements too. Plus I don't have 4 250ml bottles/flasks to fill each day with my blended juices/smoothies. A lot of supermarkets now offer their own ranges of fruit and veg juices/smoothies so I carefully chose a selection of these, making sure to check the ingredients for any hidden nasties that I need to avoid.

Here's what I bought:

I'm on my third day of the cleanse now and for the most part I am feeling pretty good - my digestive health has definitely improved (I suffered from constipation and mild IBS before), I have plenty of energy although more in the evenings; my energy levels in the mornings are very low. The only thing I am struggling with is missing variety and different textures at lunch and breakfast times, as you all know I love food and always look forward to my next meal. When everyone in my office is tucking into sandwiches & salads for their lunches I feel a bit jealous knowing all I have is another juice/smoothie!! They do taste really nice though.

I started off the week weighing 79.5kg (12st 7lbs). This is mostly comprised of muscle as I need to be a fairly decent weight for playing rugby (although a little of that might be cake weight!!). 

The aim of this cleanse isn't necessarily to lose much weight but to cleanse my body of toxins that affect my health. However if I end up dropping a couple of pounds and creating more lean muscle into the bargain then all the better!!

I'll post pre-holiday with my results.

Let me know what you think - would you try it?

Lx
Pin It Now!

12 comments:

  1. No way! I love my food too much!
    Bet you're so excited about your hols, not long now! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited yes!! Counting down the days.

      I love my food too, and it has been tough - but I do feel healthier as a result of doing this.

      Lxx

      Delete
  2. pretty tempted to try that last smoothie looks rather good. Surely it's more cleansing to buy fresh fruit and juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The apple, banana, cucumber and pea is my favourite!! You can actually taste the cucumber in it but it's not weird at all, just really yummy.

      Yes, it would be better to buy the raw ingredients and juice it myself, but the shopping list said you needed stuff like 25 cucumbers, 25 apples, 4 bags of spinach and a huge bunch of other stuff which a) I can't afford and b) I don't have room in my fridge for all of it!! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Wow you have a lot more determination than I ! I'd definitely be craving chocolate by the first afternoon haha. If you fancy some more healthy juices, Sainsbury's do some amazing fruit & veg juices: apple & beetroot and carrot & orange. I drank a glass of the apple and beetroot everyday for a week and definitely felt cleansed.
    Enjoy your holiday- take lots of snaps :)
    everythingandthegirlxo.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Daisy, I'll try Sainsbury's next time I do this - I think going forwards I'll try to cleanse for one week of each month. I haven't actually missed chocolate at all weirdly, but it has been tough sometimes!!

      Lxx

      Delete
  4. I am drinking juice or smoothies for morning meal, mid-morning snack, midday meal and after noon snack. I am then eating a little heavy meal in the evenings but still attaching to reduced fat, high protein. If you fancy some more healthy juices, do some amazing fruit & veg juices: apple & beetroot and carrot & orange. I prefer Noni Juice, It is my favorite juice. It really very tasty and healthy.

    Regards,
    Tahitian Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are many juice products in the market. Juice is healthy to work wonders for your digestive system, skin, hair, nails and can be an aid to weight loss too. A lot of supermarkets now offer their own varieties of fruit and veg juices/smoothies so I mindfully chose a selection of these, making certain to ascertain the components for any hidden nasties that I need to avoid.

    Regards,
    Massage Kelowna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my good good luck Lisa your'e much braver than me, like you said I don't know if I'd be able to do this because I'd miss the variety of diferent meals too much. I didn't know the supermarkets were starting to do their own ready made veggie juices now I'll have to check that out because your right to do it all yourself is time consuming and expensive! Yay for your holiday bet you can't wait! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always in awe of people who do juice cleanses! Hopefully you'll get a big reward for all your effort and will be feeling fab inside. Very jelly you're off to Sharm el Sheikh, my cousin went before and had the best time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been considering doing a juice cleanse but honestly, I don't know if I have the willpower. I guess I'll just have to give it a go and find out! Have fun on your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i did a cleanse once! lasted 5 days - so so intense!
    hope you're feeling good x
    www.vicariousLA.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments always read, responded to and very much appreciated. xx