2.10.12

What Lisa Baked: Steak, Mushroom, Guinness & Stilton Pie and Fruit Crumble

So here is the recipe post I teased you with yesterday.

This blog in its previous incarnation was all about my love for cooking and baking, but due to the fact I don't tend to cook anything overly exciting during the week and find I have less and less time to bake it didn't get utilised to it's full potential, which is why I now use it as a vehicle for wittering on about my life in general.

However, on Sunday's I like to eat. A LOT.

Sunday is the one day of the week where I like to keep it simple and lazy. I'm so busy for the other six days that on the seventh I like to wake up late, then lay in bed watching a DVD or catching up on programmes I've missed on iPlayer. I tend to drag myself out of the comfort of my bed at about 10:30am, or whenever the growls of my stomach have become so loud they're drowning out whatever I'm watching, and make myself some brunch. I then retire to the sofa for a couple more hours and read the Sunday papers.

By the time 2:00pm comes around I start to get cabin fever, this is the point at which I'll throw on some scruffy clothes and go for a long walk. Or I take over my kitchen for some serious food preparation.

On Sunday I decided to make a big manly pie for my boyfriend and I, followed by one of my favourite autumnal Sunday desserts - crumble.

Now most of you probably know how to make pies and crumbles but I'll share my recipes with you anyway because it's fun and everyone likes reading about food surely?!

Firstly the pie. It serves two very hungry (and greedy people) or four moderately peckish people.

You will need:

approx. 400g of good quality beef, either diced, or casserole/stewing steak
440ml guinness
a glug of olive oil
a sizeable chunk of butter
2 tablespoons of plain flour
one red onion
one shallot
two cloves of garlic
approx 100g button mushrooms
a good chunk of stilton!
two sheets of chilled puff pastry (if you're lazy like me)
any herbs you'd like to add, rosemary or thyme is nice.
liberal amounts of black pepper, a conservative amount of salt


first peel and finely chop your onion, shallot and garlic


fry gently in the olive oil until golden and soft


dice the mushrooms and add to the onion, shallot and garlic along with the chunk of butter and fry until soft and browned


if your beef isn't already diced cut it into bite size pieces


and brown it in the pan


next add your guinness and flour and simmer on the hob for at least an hour or until the liquid has reduced to a thick gravy. cut up your stilton and stir into the mixture until melted, this will make the gravy even thicker!!

grease your pie dish and roll out one of the sheets of pastry then lay it into the pie dish so it covers the bottom and sides.

add your filling and then roll out the second sheet of pastry and lay over the top of the dish, crimping the edges to the top of the first layer of pastry.

lightly egg wash the top of the pie then put into the oven for one hour at 180 degrees.

sorry, i forgot to take photos of this stage!!

when your pie comes out of the oven it should be a delightful golden brown like this....


serve piping hot with peas and green beans (if you like those vegetables)



Now for my easy peasy Fruit Crumble!!

You will need:

two apples (I used Golden Delicious)
approx 100g of frozen berries
two tablespoons caster sugar
250g plain flour
150g sugar
200g butter

first either cut or grate the apples (i grate mine) and add to an oven proof dish

then add the frozen fruit and sprinkle the two tablespoons of caster sugar over the top


in a bowl mix the sugar, butter and flour together using your hands until you have a soft crumbly almost pastry...

add a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to taste if you like that sort of thing


spoon over the top of the fruit filling and pat down firmly so it covers the dish completely



bake in the oven at 180 degrees for approx 40 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is trying to bubble over the sides of the dish

serve with plenty of custard if you're so inclined.


Honestly after eating all of that I thought I was going to pop!! But it was so worth it.

Let me know if any of you decide to cook either of these anytime soon or tell me what your favourite Sunday food is!!

L xx


Pin It Now!

12 comments:

  1. Can't have blue cheese at the mo (booo) but I'm loving the look of that crumble.Rx

    http://sandersonsmithstory.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arghh, I'll be so grumpy one day when I get pregnant and have to stop eating blue cheese although as long as I can still eat strong cheddar I'm sure I'll cope!!

    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks delicious :(! wish I could cook x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Both these recipes are honestly really easy, give them a go!!

      I like your blog, I'm following you now - would you like to follow me back?

      L x

      Delete
  4. Oh my word that looks delicious! Will you move in with me?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! The offer is tempting (I'm sure we'd get on like a house on fire) but I think where you live is a bit too far for me to commute to my job, friends, family etc :)

      L xx

      Delete
  5. Can you make this pie for me one day please, it looks so gorgeous, as are your nails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly will, when do you want to come over for dinner? I'm so obsessed with my nails now that I just can't resist putting them in my photos!!! How's your manicure doing?

      xxx

      Delete
  6. Speaking as an ex-pro you did a great job there, Lisa! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vix, that is high praise indeed!!!

      Lxx

      Delete
  7. I feel like I'm going to pop after drooling over your dinner!! Your pie looks absolutely gorgeous and I'll be you had more than one serving or spent the evening picking at the beautiful golden pastry. As for dessert, if it has apples in it, it's heavenly:). xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was certainly very tasty but I was incredibly full afterwards.

      Lxx

      Delete

Comments always read, responded to and very much appreciated. xx